Each of the following questions has a paragraph from which the last sentence has been deleted. From the given options, choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.
I am sometimes attacked for imposing 'rules'. Nothing could be further from the truth. I hate rules. All I do is report on how consumers react to different stimuli. I may say to a copywriter, research shows that commercials with celebrities are below average in persuading people to buy products. Are you sure you want to use a celebrity? Call that a rule? Or I may say to an art director, research suggests that if you set the copy in black type on a white background, more people will read it than if you set it in white type on a black background.? _______.
(1) Guidance based on applied research can hardly qualify as 'rules'.
(2) Thus, all my so called rules are rooted in applied research.
(3) A suggestion perhaps, but scarcely a rule.
(4) Such principles are unavoidable if one wants to be systematic about consumer behaviour.
(5) Fundamentally it is about consumer behaviour- not about celebrities or type settings.