Each of the following questions has a paragraph from which the last sentence has been deleted. From the given options, choose the one that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.
In the evolving world order, the comparative advantage of the United States lies in its military force. Diplomacy and international law have always been regarded as annoying encumbrances, unless they can be used toadvantage against an enemy. Every active player in world affairs professes to seek only peace and to prefer negotiation to violence and coercion________.
(1) However, diplomacy has often been used as a mask by nations which intended touse force.
(2) However, when the veil is lifted, we commonly see that diplomacy is understood as a disguise for the rule of force.
(3) However, history has shown that many of these nations do not practice what they profess.
(4) However, history tells us that peace is professed by those who intend to use violence.
(5) However, when unmasked, such nations reveal a penchant for the use of force.